Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Deadspin

Are you like me?

Are you obsessed with professional sports despite the fact that you haven’t played in an organized league since you were 15 years old?

Do you find yourself watching ESPN at odd hours of the day, railing aloud at some bonehead comment by Merill Hoge, while he breaks down film of last Sunday’s Tampa Bay vs. Detroit match-up?

Do you know way too much about the Tour De Force doping scandal even though you probably couldn’t ride a bike 15 miles?

Do you wonder why Tony Kornheiser and Joe Theisman seem so odd together on Monday Night Football? Or why Harold Reynolds is no longer on Baseball Tonight? Or why there are so many shows about athlete’s private lives, which, from what I can tell, consist mostly of buying expensive cars, gambling, playing video games, and having absurd amounts of promiscuous sex? (Ok maybe I understand that one.)

Do you wonder why Sean Salsbury has a job that doesn’t involve asking his manager if he can knock down the price of a 1994 Chevy Cavalier and throw in a 3 year service plan if you sign the papers today?

Well, for a long time you may have thought you were a lone voice in the wilderness.

I know I did.

However, on my last four trips to Delaware my friend Jake has turned to me and asked a question that began with the phrase “Hey, Toady, did you see on Deadspin…”

And I replied “What’s Deadspin?”

And he told me.

And I forgot.

BUT

I finally remembered to visit this website last night during the Seattle Seahawks “victory” over the Oakland Raiders (Although, after seeing the Raiders play a game, I am of the opinion that no team should get credit for beating them by anything less than 50 points.)



Deadspin is an informed sport’s fan’s dream come true. That sounds lame but it is accurate.

Deadspin is funny, insightful, and oft-updated.

It has news stories from all over the country.

It has a wry, personal, and intelligent point of view.

And it’s really great ok so just visit it already at http://www.deadspin.com/

3 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This Deadspin intrigues me... Is there something there for us fairweather fans, too?

PostScript - I was looking for a picture to link my name to in this post, and I did a search for Calvinball, and on the first page of results, the best one that came up was from deadspin.com. Weird...

 
At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some reason it didn't link.

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/weird-sports/the-return-of-calvinball-125801.php

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger SMangat said...

good to see you're on the bandwagon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home